RARA-AVIS: Mankell

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu)
Date: 23 Apr 2002

Interesting discussion... I read a very laudatory article about Henning Mankell in either _Library Journal_ or _Booklist_ and thought those books sounded pretty good. The next time I sent out a library book order, I included 5 Mankell titles. So far, I've read both _Faceless Killers_ and _Sidetracked_ and liked them both immensely. We've also got
_The Fifth Woman_, _The White Lioness_, and
_One Step Behind_. Wallander is a very introspective character, brooding about the changes in his society and how things seem to be going to hell. I thought it interesting in _Faceless Killers_ that he actually had some sympathy for the anti-immigrant faction that plays a role in the book's events. The unchecked tide of immigration makes his job that much more difficult. But despite his sympathy, he does the job assigned to him.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Kathy Kola/David Brock mysteries by Barry Maitland? I've got 3 of these titles (_The Marx Sisters_, _The Malcontenta_, and _The Chalon Heads_) which just came in, again purchased on the spur of the moment after reading a review. Are they at all hardboiled?

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO