Re: RARA-AVIS: Day Keene

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 12 Apr 2002

Mark S said:

> I've heard Day Keene praised by Mario, and others, enough to know I
> should pick him up if I ever saw any. I never did. Until today.
Today
> I found a whole stash and picked up most. I left a few. So, any of
> these better than others? Any clunkers? And should I go back for
those
> I passed on?
>
> Ones I got:
>
> Dead Dolls Don't Talk
> Love Me & Die
> Strange Witness
> The Passion Murders (Farewell to Passion)
> Payola
> His Father's Wife
> Who Has Wilma Lathrop? and Murder on the Side (Lancer double)
> Bring Him Back Dead and There Was a Crooked Man (another Lancer
double,
> but this one says, "Two complete and unabridged novels" on one side,
but
> "2 Day Keene novels revised for this edition" on the other -- does
> anyone know what changes might have been made?)
>
> One I left behind:
>
> Passage to Samoa
> Notorious
> Chicago 11
> Miami 59 (I may have the numbers reversed)
>
> Also picked up:
>
> A Cold Day in Paradise by Steve Hamilton
> Zip-Gun Boogie by Mark Timlin
>
> Mark

The one's I've read include LOVE ME - AND DIE, STRANGE WITNESS, BRING HIM BACK DEAD & THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN. As I recall, all those are definitely worth reading. (STRANGE WITNESS may have the distinction of being the only HB/noir story - as opposed to a horror story - that features a ventriloquist as the protagonist). My personal favourite is HOME IS THE SAILOR but most of the stuff I've read has been consistently excellent. Archetypal Gold Medal fare - I have no doubt you'll enjoy the books you have picked up.(Speaking personally, I'd pick up anything by Keene, especially if the price is right).

Rene

Rene