Re: RARA-AVIS: Fitzgerald & Kennedy

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Apr 2002

--- Victoria Esposito-Shea
< victoria@esposito-shea.com> wrote:
> interestingly enough, one of
> the real-life models for Gatsby was supposed to have
> been "Legs" Diamond,
> who of course became the protag of William Kennedy's
> first Albany novel
> (and my favorite of his books that I've read).

This may already have been mentioned, and it's been a long time since I've read Gatsby, so I won't remember the names, but...

There is a organized crime / gambler / bookie type figure in the novel that Fitzgerald largely based, it is said, on the real-life figure of the man (whose name I also can't remember) who supposedly organized the throwing of the World Series by Shoeless Joe Jackson, et al. (as portrayed in the film Eight Men Out).

I know what you're thinking: could George be a little more vague? The answer is yes, I can...but I don't want to look like a show-off.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/