RARA-AVIS: Bookstores & Poets

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 09 Apr 2002

In answer to Carrie's followup on Charlottesville, VA bookstores, my short trip included trips to Read It Again Sam, which, as you know, has a very large mystery section. On one trip, I chatted with the owner who said he was a collector before opening the store. Heartwood Books was the other store. It's on a small street across from the restaurant The Biltmore. It's a classic general used book store, the type I've always dreamed of running.

As for Joy's comment on giving up on poets as mystery writers, I imagine others will come up with examples of those who could do both. Benjamin Appel, a good HB writer from the Hell's Kitchen section of New York City, was originally a poet. His first book MIXED VINTAGE (1929) was a poetry collection that came out five years before his first crime novel BRAIN GUY.

I will comment on poet Stephen Dobyns' THE CHURCH OF DEAD GIRLS when I finish it.

Richard Moore