RARA-AVIS: My Vote

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Apr 2002

First off, my ten "historically significant" characters in chronological order:

THE CONTINENTAL OP SAM SPADE DICK TRACY PHIL MARLOWE MIKE HAMMER LEW ARCHER JOE FRIDAY STEVE CARELLA DAN KEARNEY CHRISTIE OPARA

Those aren't necessarily the characters I feel are the most significant; they're the characters I sincerely feel are of great significance who I happen to like the most. There are others who may be more historically important, but whom I didn't enjoy as much.

Next up the ten who might not be as significant historically, but whom I really like, in alphabetical order according to first name.

AMOS WALKER CHARLES CARR (a write-in vote for a character I forgot to nominate; he stars in a series of novels by Gerald Petievitch) CHARLES RIPLEY HARRY BOSCH MATT HELM NATE HELLER NEIL FARGO QUILLER SID HALLEY

All heroes, virtually all series characters, a large contingent of cop-characters (particularly of those created by cop-writers; not too surprising given my background and predilections), and, with a single exception, all created before 1990.

To save space I'll refrain from commenting further on individual choices for the moment except for a couple which have been particularly important to me.

If campaigning is allowed, I'd like to put in a plug for Friday and Carella. I've noticed several votes for Martin Beck, who is a direct descendant of these two. The Wahloos once said in an interview that they were inspired to write Stockholm-set police procedurals after being hired to translate 87th Precinct novels into Swedish. They even toyed with the idea of proposing an international collaboration with McBain in which Beck would travel to New York to meet Carella. Without Carella, there'd probably never have been a Beck, and Carella and his colleagues at the 87th grew directly out of McBain's desire to do in prose what Jack Webb was doing on radio and TV, so without Friday, there'd be no Carella. It may seem like a stretch to connect the ultra-conservative Webb with the Marxist Wahloos, but the connection is closer than might at first appear.

I think, possibly, that Friday is handicapped in many eyes by the color "revival" DRAGNET series that ran in the late '60s and early '70s, which (with the exception of a few episodes, particularly a two-hour special based on the Harvey Glatman case) doesn't stand up well to re-viewing. If you're old enough, however, to recall the original b&w series from the 50s, or, better still, the radio series, which showed Friday at his best, I'd urge you to consider giving this father of the police procedural sub-genre one of your 20 votes.

Thanks for bearing with my proselytizing.

JIM DOHERTY