RARA-AVIS: My votes

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 01 Apr 2002

Alphabetical by author. After trimming out all the books I hadn't read, ones I didn't think should be on the list, and then ones I thought were too minor (like Cora from THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE), I still had a lot left. Tough choices, and they'd be different next week, but probably not too much. Like Mr. Wilson I wrote in James Figueras.

  Dan Turner (Hollywood Detective series, Robert Leslie Bellem)
  Matthew Scudder (series, Lawrence Block)
  Paul Pine (Halo series, Howard Browne)
  Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler)
  Mario Balzic (series, K.C. Constantine)
  Max Latin (short stories, Norbert Davis)
  Peter Bondurant (UNDERWORLD USA trilogy, James Ellroy)
  Dan Kearny (DKA series, Joe Gores)
  The Continental Op (series, Dashiell Hammett)
  Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett)
  Matt Helm (series, Donald Hamilton)
  Dimitri Karras (series, George Pelecanos)
  Bill Crane (series, Jonothan Latimer)
  Travis McGee (series, John D. MacDonald)
  Shell Scott (series, Richard S. Prather)
  Mike Hammer (series, Mickey Spillane)
  Parker (series, Richard Stark)
  Jo Gar (short stories, Raoul Whitfield)
  James Figueras (BURNT ORANGE HERESY, Charles Willeford)
  Hoke Moseley (series, Charles Willeford)

Bill