RARA-AVIS: G. R. R. Martin and Ron Goulart's Max Kearney

From: Todd Mason ( foxbrick@netzero.net)
Date: 01 Apr 2002

> From: Thomas Bauduret < suspiria@club-internet.fr>
> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Does anyone know...
>
> le 30/03/02 18:50, WordRunner@aol.com ࠼A HREF="mailto:WordRunner@aol.com?subject=Re:%20RARA-AVIS:%20G.%20R.%20R.%20Martin%20and%20Ron%20Goulart's%20Max%20Kearney&replyto=3CA80598.919E7F6A@netzero.net">WordRunner@aol.com a 飲it :
>
> > Does anyone know about the work of George R.R. Martin? Would you
> > recommend it, and if so which books? Is he still writing? Has he written
> > under other names? Thanks in advance for the help.
> >
> I read "Armaggedon Rag" and would highly recommend it. It's definitely not a
> straightforward horror story, it's such a cross-genre that it probably would
> not be published today, but a great rock n'roll novel !

http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?George_R._R._Martin

Yes, Martin is still publishing, and still picking up awards. I'd start with THE ARMAGEDDON RAG (a very chauvinist rock'n'roll novel, quite certain that hippy-era rock is inarguably the best...Mountain, of course, being much better than Link Wray or the Dead Kennedys--surely we all agree...), or perhaps FEVRE DREAM (a more controversial choice) or "The Monkey Treatment" (a good exposure to his vigor, and lack of fear of the crass [as opposed to Crass the band, surely worse than Tommy James and the Shondells]). Did a fair amount of video work in the '80s, between TWILIGHT ZONE and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST the tv series, may still be at it in Hollywood. Dunno if I can say he's particularly hb...

If we can go Creasey and Gideon, how about Ron Goulart's Max Kearney, the father of modern-day snappy patter p(sychic-phenomena) i folk?

TM