RARA-AVIS: kiddie lit - Tough Cookie

From: Jordan McPeek ( jordan_mcpeek@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Mar 2002

Tough Cookie by David Wisniewski. This is a picture book about life in a cookie jar that's a lot more fun for rare birds than for its intended audience.
 I'll let the text from the first page speak for itself: "They call me a tough cookie. I guess I am. Came from a regular batch. Lots of dough. Lived the high life. Top of the Jar. Then I hit bottom and stayed here. It was rough. Still is. But you get used to it. Life's still sweet. Just a little stale." He wears a trenchcoat and a fedora; his girlfriend wears a fur stole; his best friend is carried off in a stretcher after Fingers got ahold of him; he goes looking for revenge; he's got lots of crummy friends. My four-year-old doesn't really go for it, but I keep checking it out from the library anyway. Lets me practice my hardboiled voice(s). I recommend it, but not so much for your kids.

Jordan in Winnipeg