Re: RARA-AVIS: name changes -

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 30 Mar 2002

> > I think Parker was changed to Porter
> > in Point Blank because
> > of copyright concerns.
>
> You may be right about the reasons for the change, but
> not about the change itslef. In the Lee Marvin
> version, POINT BLANK, the character became "Walker"
> not "Porter." The name was changed to "Porter" in the
> Mel Gibson remake, PAYBACK.
>
> JIM DOHERTY

IIRC, Westlake himself (or his agent) insists on this - I believe it has something to do with being able to sell the other books separately as movies. Somebody else on the list may be able to correct or clarify me on this issue. (Usually it's Jim D himself that performs this function but I guess that role will have to go to someone else this time).

Rene