RARA-AVIS: Howdy New Chum & Marlowe/Mallory

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 30 Mar 2002

> I've been on this list for a few weeks but haven't posted anything
until now. My name is Eric Mallory and I'm student at Goddard College in Vermont who's been reading crime fiction since middle school. >
> --

 Hello Eric, welcome to the list. As a point of interest, did you know that Mallory was the original name for Raymond Chandler's Marlowe character? I can't remember why he decided to make it Marlowe instead but I do know that the Marlowe name itself has confused people who have been told that the name is meant to have connotations of chivalry. In other words, what does the surname of an Elizabethan author of revenge tragedies have to do with chivalry? (Sir Thomas Mallory on the other hand is the author of LE MORTE D'ARTHUR, the earliest "English" version of the Arthur stories).IIRC that has caused a little confusion in this very list. Anyhow, I hope the list gives you as much fun as I've had out of it.

Rene