RARA-AVIS: Top 100 update

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 26 Mar 2002

Kerry wanted us to have weighted voting so his candidate would be able to get 10 points which would probably get him in the top 100. If we have equal voting he felt that wouldn't happen. I nominated three ters, Thomas Perry's Michael Schaeffer and Jane Whitfield, in two separate series, and Gary Disher's Wyatt who probably won't make it even though they are main characters and strongly drawn because not enough people have read of them. There are a lot of other characters from the fifties and earlier who also deserve to be on the list and probably won't be included on the list for the same reason. However, I don't think it is proper that one person can ensure a character he or she really likes be on the list while another liked by many doesn't make it. That seems to be the list consensus.

Erick , Joe and I have agreed that there each list member will have twenty votes all to be weighted equally. People are welcome to continue nominating through March 31. We will then allow voting from April 1 to April 15. We have not decided whether we will issue updates.

A couple of things: We have decided Nick and Nora Charles will be an entry. We have tentatively decided Ross Thomas' Artie Wu and Quincy Durant as well as Joe Landale's Hap and Leonard will also though we welcome arguments to the contrary. George Pelecanos' Marcus Clay and Dmitri Karras will be considered separate nominees. Mark