Re: RARA-AVIS: Nick Carter - author questions

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 25 Mar 2002

Scott Owen wrote:

> >Doug Bassett wrote:
> >
> >It's a shame that the author of that page has to flaunt
> >his ignorance about Nick Carter's pre-pulp origins.
> >Rip-off of Sherlock Holmes, indeed! Harrumph.
>
> I think the comparison does a disservice both to Mr. Holmes & Mr. Carter.
> Ever try reading one of those dime novels? Talk about novacaine in print
> form...

I own a bunch. They're not very good, I agree. Carter's Golden Age was actually ~1896-1915, when F. Rensselaer Dey began cranking out the stories. They're not bad, relatively speaking--certainly not on Doyle's level, but not bad as dime novels go--but Carter hits his stride as a character, and faces off against some really imaginative and fun villains, including the enjoyably psychotic Dr. Quartz.

jess