RARA-AVIS: Voting procedures

From: Kate Derie ( katederie@mac.com)
Date: 25 Mar 2002

>So three people picking Dick Contino as their fave would outvote
>29 Dudley Smith tenth places ---- does this make sense??

IMHO, no it doesn't make sense. Some of the otherwise inexplicable decisions of awards committees are the result of this system. This system of preferential voting was devised to provide an "instant runoff" in situations where there can be only one winner and no runners-up. I think each of us voting for our ten (or twenty) favorites, in no particular order, will give a truer picture of the consensus of the list, as those who are valued by more people will get more votes and hence rise to the top of the list.

--
Regards,
Kate Derie