Re: RARA-AVIS: List of 100 Best hard boiled characters of thelast 100 years

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 22 Mar 2002

> HemS Goes to prove that I'm pretty naive when I set my mind to itS I'd
never
> have thought such omission was even thinkableS
>
> T.

Maybe you're just younger? When I went to school, ethnocentrism was definitely the order of the day. The idea that other cultures may be equal to, let alone superior to our European (& specifically in that time, "British") culture was unthinkable. Nowadays, even in these comparitively mean & xenophobic times, Australia prides itself on it's multi-cultural society but when I went to school, literature that would now be considered pernicious & racist was used as school texts. I guess that's something I can console myself with next time our politicians win a landslide election by vilifying & demonising some of the poorest & most oppressed people on the planet as terrorists & people who drown their kids in order to get the local equivalent of a green card.
(Refugee status).

Rene