RARA-AVIS: Nestor, List, etc.

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 21 Mar 2002

I haven't voted because I think I've seen a lot of my favorites are up already. In case it wasn't answered, the character Nestor Burma does indeed appear in English. For me, the list has raised some interesting questions about character/originality. I think of Spade and the Op and Marlowe as quite distinct. I also am a big fan of the Paul Pine books, but Pine seems so much like Marlowe in some ways that he belongs on a different list. Best knock-offs might be an interesting list. Stark's Parker on one list, but Garry Disher's Wyatt on another (or think of permutations of Nero Wolfe and Archie). Another question might be what sort of character hasn't been knocked-off: maybe Tom Ripley. On the Letterman question. Some Washington, DC-area rara-avian publicist should pitch NPR ([U.S.] National Public Radio) on doing a follow-up story about this list. I would nominate list-owner Bill Denton as the sensible choice for the voice of R-A. Doug