RARA-AVIS: Pulp Reprints

From: Jim Stephenson ( jestephenson@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 21 Mar 2002

Adventure House in Bethesda, Md. is the best of the current publishers reprinting pulps. The collections AT THE STROKE OF MIDNIGHT featuring John K. Butler's hard-boiled cab driver Steve Midnight, and FOOTPRINTS ON A BRAIN featuring the weird hero Inspector Allhoff (by D.L. Champion) are both essential collections for pulp fans.

Adventure House has begun a "print-on-demand" service that will reprint any requested pulp fiction that meets certain criteria. Here's the skinny:

> Adventure House is proud to announce our newest pulp reprint line. Our Print On Demand (POD) line of fine pulp reprints.
> What titles are available? Well that's the amazing part of this line of reprints, you the reader decides what we will reprint.
>
> Suggest a title we can reprint and if we get 50 pre-orders we will go into production and produce the book.
>
> Here is the catch. We cannot produce a book if the material is in copyright and we cannot negotiate copyright permission, or if the book is so scarce that we cannot locate a reproducible copy. So please keep those simple guidelines in mind when you make your suggestions.
>
> PRICE: $14.95 per edition for a 110 page pulp reprint. Price does not include shipping.

I'd be willing to bet that there are 50 rare birds that would like to get a collection of stories featuring Frederick Nebel's Steve MacBride & John X. Kennedy, for example. Or maybe David Goodis' early work in the aviation pulps? Or any of the dozens of uncollected Day Keene stories from Dime Detective? Anyway, I think it would be worth considering.

Here's the URL for Adventure House, for any wanting to go further: http://www.adventurehouse.com/index.htm

Jim Stephenson