RE: RARA-AVIS: top characters RULES

From: Anderson, Erick (ETW) ( Erick.Anderson@nike.com)
Date: 21 Mar 2002

Colin (who wrote) (and all):

> I second Pinky and Pete Bondurant would like to nominate:
>
> Jack Carter, series Ted Lewis - but specially Get Carter (Jack's Return
> Home in print)
> Detective Sergeant Department of Unexplained Deaths - Derek Raymond's
> Factory series.
> Bigelow (?) - Consumptive, club footed, small of stature hit man from
> Thompson's Savage Night.
> This Gun For Sale - the hair lipped fellah - this is gonna need some
> reseach I can see - anyway I do nominate all of the above....
>
> A note on rules. I think the usual way these are done is by asking for
> everyone's top ten then awarding Ten points for each first place nine for
> each second place etc... The idea being that you get more of a consensus
> view and a personal weighting with more consideration and thought given to
> everyone's own choices (imagine how hard you would think to whittle down
> your own choices to ten!!). So three people picking Dick Contino as their
> fave would outvote twenty nine Dudley Smith tenth places ---- does this
> make sense??
> BTW, I am very happy to volunteer to do the necessary if no-one else wants
> to.......
> Cheers All
> Colin in England

----

Please let me know your feelings in support of adopting Colin's recommendation for scoring.
I've been keeping track of the nominations (but not the seconds). If we adopt Colin's rule it seems that we need to go back and each compile our own top ten lists and go from there. Otherwise I can continue with tracking your nominations and we can vote at the end of the month.
Please advise.
Best Regards, Erick