RARA-AVIS: Nominations -- The word "Hard-boiled"

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Mar 2002

The nominations are filling out a reading list for me to pick up on some characters--and writers--I've missed.

Thanks all.

The word "Hardboiled"

I first read the word in Ernest Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises." Unfortunately, I think he uses it to actually accent sentimentality:
   "It's awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing." TSAR, 1926.

It would be nice if somebody could come up with the origin of the word, or earlier refrences, since My Mirriam-Websters says the word goes back to 1886.

Jack Bludis

===== THE BIG SWITCH, by Jack Bludis http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html Coming in September: THE DEAL KILLER