Re: RARA-AVIS: Top 100 Hard-Boiled Characters

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Mar 2002

I'm going to stick to heroes for the moment, and, given my predilection, to procedural-type cops.

Steve Carella (Evan "Ed McBain" Hunter; the 87th Precinct Series)

Charles Ripley (John Wainwright; the Lessford Police series)

Bumper Morgan (Joseph Wambaugh; THE BLUE KNIGHT)

Mitch Taylor (Lawrence Treat; Taylor/Freeman/Decker series)

Christie Opara (Dorothy Uhnak; Opara trilogy)

I nominate the above based on the character's long-term popularity, the quality of the writing, and the influence the characters, or their creators have had on the genre. On that basis, I'd like to nominate two characters who, though they appear in novels and short stories, were created for mediums other than prose fiction.

Joe Friday (Jack Webb; the radio/TV series DRAGNET)

Dick Tracy (Chester Gould; the TRACY newspaper strip)

Webb, through Friday and DRAGNET was virtually the inventor of the police procedural sub-genre, and writers from McBain to Creasey have acknowledged the influence of the show on their own work.

Tracy is, with the sole exception of Sherlock Holmes, the most famous detective in fiction.

I'll also second, if nobody else has yet, Coffin Ed Johnson and Gravedigger Jones, Quiller, the Op, and Mike Hammer.

I'd also like to suggest a rule. While the nominated characters don't have to be series characters, or even heroes, I think they should be MAIN characters. Supporting characters are subjects for another poll.

JIM DOHERTY