Re: RARA-AVIS: List of 100 Best hard boiled characters of the las t 100 years

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 20 Mar 2002

   I think you should be able to nominate anybody as long as they are in hard boiled or noir works of written fiction to ensure they follow Rara Avis rules. If we get over a thousand names we might have to qualify them by something like seconding, but I don't think we will.

Here are some nominees before Kevin nominates the thousand we have missed so far:

Hawk (Robert Parker's Spenser series) Casper Gutman (Hammett's Maltere Falcon) Dan Kearney (Joe Gores' DKA series) Alan Grofield (Richard Stark) Joe Pike (Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series) Samantha Dolan (Crais' LA Requiem) Nick Stefanos (George Pelecanos) Wyatt (Gary Disher's Wyatt series) Pierre Ange aka - Pete Sawyer (Marvin Albert's Stone Angel series) Paul Pine (Howard Browne's Halo series) Nameless (Bill Pronzini's series of the same name) Roy Martin (Dan Marlowe's The Name of the Game is Death) Tres Navarre (Rick Riordan's Tres Navarre series) Artie Wu and Quincy Durant ( Ross Thomas) Jack Wild (Earl Thompson's Garden of Sand and Tattoo.) Milo Milodragonavitch (James Crumley's other P. I.): Harry Stoner ( Jonathan Valin)

> Section one, Nominations to Date. I've excluded seconds; I think for the
> ease of bookkeeping, it's a good idea to vote on all the nominees at the
> end. Can those who've made nominations go back through this and add author
> and book or series? Thanks.
>
> Section Two, Rules to Date. Let me know if these seem complete, or if you
> have any additions or clarifications. Also, suggestions re: ranking rules.
>
> Section Three, FAQs. Can someone opine on the Anglo/non-Anglo question or
> second mine?

RULES TO DATE