Re: RARA-AVIS: List of 100 Best hard boiled characters of the las t 100 years

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 20 Mar 2002

> Q: Do we have a right to include non-Anglo characters?
> A: [Unanswered at present. Opinions, anyone? Non-anglo characters who
have
> been translated into English acceptable?]

I see no good reason why not.
& what do we mean by non-Anglo characters? Characters from books originally written in languages other than English or characters such as Easy Rawlins or Artie Wu? Either way, perhaps the rule should be "works available in English" & hope we're all sensible enough (I think we are) not to pick characters that are too obscure, such as the hero of a 1950's Lithuanian "pulp" detective series, for example. Something that there's a reasonable chance of most rare-birds coming across.

Rene