RE: RARA-AVIS: Hammett short stories in Mercury Press magazines: Greene

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 18 Mar 2002

Thing is, each of these is actually a magazine, or magabook/magazine-book if one prefers (except, presumably, the World reprint).

MERCURY MYSTERY ran the longest, but BESTSELLER MYSTERY and JONATHAN PRESS MYSTERY had good runs as well. Distributed as magazines and on the magazine racks, they were issued periodically, as advertised in F&SF and EQMM issues...and since they were in digest magazine format, I'm surprised to see the tendency to treat them as books per se so prevalent. But, I suppose, since paperbacks generally were often treated by their distributors as periodicals... TM

-----Original Message----- From: dgreene@odu.edu [mailto: dgreene@odu.edu] I believe that I have all the digest-sized "paperbacks" [magazine issues] by Hammett, published by [Mercury Press owners] Spivak (and one by Ferman) under varying imprints
[magazine titles]:

Dashiell Hammett. The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak (Bestseller Mystery B50), 1944.
      Contains 7 stories including 4 detective stories, 3 of which feature Sam Spade..

_____. The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories. Cleveland: World, 1945.
      Reprint with reset type of the Bestseller Mystery edition, but without the Queen introduction.

_____. They Can Only Hang You Once and Other Stories, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: The American Mercury, Lawrence E. Spivak (Mercury Mystery 131), c. 1944.
      A new edition (1949) with rearranged contents of The Adventures of Sam Spade.

_____. The Continental Op, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Bestseller Mystery B62), 1945.
      Contains 4 Continental Op detective stories.

_____. The Return of the Continental Op, introd. [and ed.] by Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak (Jonathan Press J17), 1945.
      Contains 5 Continental Op detective stories.

_____. Hammett Homicides, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Bestseller Mystery B81), 1946.
      Contains 6 stories, including 5 detective stories, all but one featuring the Continental Op.

_____. Dead Yellow Women, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Jonathan Press J29), 1947.
      Contains 4 Continental Op detective stories, one crime story and one riddle story.

_____. Nightmare Town, ed Ellery Queen. New York: The American Mercury, Lawrence E. Spivak, 1948.
      Contains 4 stories, 2 of which feature the Continental Op.

_____. The Creeping Siamese, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak (Jonathan Press J48), 1950.
      Contains 6 stories, 4 of which are detective; 3 feature the Continental Op and one Mr. Thin.

_____. Woman in the Dark, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Jonathan Press J59), 1951.
      Contains 7 stories, including 3 detective stories featuring the Continental Op.

_____. A Man Named Thin and Other Stories, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Joseph W. Ferman (Mercury Mystery 233), 1962.
      Contains 8 stories, 2 of which are detective; one features the Continental Op and one Mr. Thin.