RE: RARA-AVIS: collected Hammett short stories: Mark Anon after a ll

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 18 Mar 2002

Yes, it's a pity no one has reprinted (facsimile or otherwise) these issues of MERCURY MYSTERY "book-magazine", although that may not've prevented my apparently mistaken memory that the WOMAN IN THE DARK issue appeared in 1951 rather than in 1961. A MAN NAMED THIN, iinm, was the last issue of MERCURY MYSTERY. TM

-----Original Message----- From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net [mailto: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net]

Bill wrote:

"Which leaves the following stories. Have these ever been collected in books?"

A number of these were reprinted in the nine Hammet collections edited by Ellery Queen. The last, A Man Named Thin, lists the contents of the whole series. I have gone through that list and put the collection in which these stories can be found:

"The Barber and His Wife" (1922) -- in A Man Named Thin
"The Sardonic Star of Tom Doody" (a.k.a "Wages of Crime") (1923) -- in A Man Named Thin, with the later title
"The Joke on Eloise Morey" (1923) -- in The Creeping Siamese
"The Vicious Circle" (a.k.a "The Man Who Stood In the Way"?) (1923) -- in Woman in the Dark, with the latter title
"The Dimple" (a.k.a "In the Morgue") (1923) -- in A Man Named Thin, with the latter title
"Laughing Masks" (a.k.a "When Luck's Running Good") (1923) -- in A Man Named Thin, with the latter title
"Itchy" (1924) -- in A Man Named Thin, as Itchy the Debonair
"The New Racket" (a.k.a. "The Judge Laughed Last") (1924) -- In The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories, with the latter title (note, the Dell mapback does not contain all of the stories in the original, so I don't know if it includes this one)
"The Nails in Mr. Cayterer" (1926) -- in The Creeping Siamese
"Death and Company" (1930) -- in The Return of the Continental Op
"Night Shade" (1933) -- in The Adventures of Sam Spade, as one word

So that's a few more collected.