Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler, Library of America

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 17 Mar 2002

On 16 March 2002, Etienne Borgers wrote:

: So, later I discovered that in fact, the Essay in that one was the
: second version of it, that was originally published in 1950 in :
: 'Saturday Review of Literature' , April 1950… and anthologized the
: same year by Houghton Mifflin Cy. The first one (that's the one I was
: looking for, the historical one), shorter I think, and *different* by
: many aspects, was issued in 1944, in 'The Atlantic Monthly', December
: 44 and was issued later in Avon's anthology 'Finger Man and other
: Stories'-1947.

Two versions of "The Simple Art of Murder"? I knew about the December 1944 ATLANTIC MONTHLY one, but a revised 1950 version ... this is fiendish! I thought the one I had was the original, but from what you say it's the 1950 revision. I can understand the vast majority of the world doesn't care one way or the other, but it's not hard to clearly identify the bibliographic history of a story or essay in an anthology.

A glorious day awaits where we can go to the bookstore or library and get ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY EVERYTHING EVER WRITTEN BY RAYMOND CHANDLER, or Paul Cain, or Norbert Davis, or Hammett, or anyone else from the old days.

Bill