RARA-AVIS: Hemingway/Chandler/Hammitt

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Mar 2002

On questions of our first readings (male):

I didn't read my first "adult" book until I was a Junior in High School. They I descovered my fathers stash--not much, but most of it was Hemingway, Fitzgereld, Hammitt, Chandler, and a bunch of paperbacks by Louis Lamour.

Yes, in some ways and for all of his personal weakness, Hemingway taught me how to be a man.

As far as Jake Barnes of "The Sun Also Rises"? In spite of his impotence, he was the most masculine of all of Hemingway's characters. Robert Jordan of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" was a close but not too close second.

Jack Bludis

===== THE BIG SWITCH, by Jack Bludis http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html Coming in September: THE DEAL KILLER