RE: RARA-AVIS: To Have and Have Not

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2002

>From: Robison Michael R CNIN < Robison_M@crane.navy.mil>
>bottom line is as ray says. his short stories were what he was
>really a master at.

Of course Hemingway wrote "The Killers", a pretty good story made into a pretty good movie. My favorites are his short stories about the Spanish Civil War, which I believe he covered as a journalist. My pick of these is
"Night Before Battle", as a few American volunteer soldiers drink and play cards with the reporters the night before a big battle. I also really liked FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS.

It seems to me that Chandler and Hemingway have there greatest effect on those who pick them up in their teenage years, especially young men
(certainly true of me). I wonder if that's because the characters of both writers seem lonely and aloof, but provide an alternate model of masculinity that appeals to bookish youngsters. Any thoughts?

Graham