RARA-AVIS: Chandler, Library of America

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2002

I just picked up the Library of America's STORIES AND EARLY NOVELS of Raymond Chandler, which includes all the short stories he wanted reprinted, THE BIG SLEEP, FAREWELL, MY LOVELY, and THE HIGH WINDOW. I'm going to get the other edition with his later books, too. (And soon, because to my horror I noticed my copy of THE LONG GOODBYE disappeared.)

Now, I know they didn't reprint the stories he cannibalized, the ones in KILLER IN THE RAIN, which I have in an old beat-up Penguin. But they didn't include "The Simple Art of Murder"! Sure, it's not a short story, but it's his most famous short piece, it was the title piece in his big short story collection, and it means I'll have to keep my copy of THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER (the shortened reprint) around just so I have it. Does anyone know why they did this? There was discussion about this edition in July 2000, but this didn't get mentioned.

Bill