RARA-AVIS: Re: Postman

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 13 Mar 2002

John wrote:
>And if Spade was as horny as Chambers, he'd have set it up so that >Gutman
>would take the fall. Then he'd run off with Bridgette to find >the real
>falcon while he wasn't fucking her brains out on some table.

Now, we're talking about "why" motives vs. "why not" motives. "Horny" is always gonna be a "why" motive; Chambers gives into his because his scruples
(the "why not") are almost nonexistent. Spade on the other hand has some damn strong "why not" motives (his "code," however eccentric, his sense of his own integrity, vengeance for his partner, justice), that doesn't mean his "why" motive was any less, it just means Spade had more of a conflict.

Carrie