Re: RARA-AVIS: shotguns and thompson

From: Paul Miller ( phm@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: 12 Mar 2002

Miker wrote: i was disappointed that borders bookstore didn't have a copy of _getaway_ for me today................................

Don't give up trying to find it. The book is different than the movies, alot better! I voted Getaway best Thompson I had read and I can go one more and say it might be the best hardboiled crime novel I have read. No, thompson isn't the best prose stylist in the world and he is very much a
"pulp" writer, still a week after my re-readings of Thompson, Getaway haunts me. I guess that is a sign of a good one. Reading Getaway you feel like it can be read on different levels of meaning, like their getaway can be seen as the descent of a couple of souls to perdition or as in buddhism a reaping of karma, or maybe picture of capitalism without ethics in El Rey's kingdom. Thompson may have never intended any extra meaning yet this is a novel that cast many interesting shadows on the wall of the mind. In short do find and read a copy!

Paul Miller