Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: poppa and pauline

From: Buzz ( BuzzMeeks@attbi.com)
Date: 12 Mar 2002

> kerry says:
> I always caught a whiff of yearning behind Spade and Marlowe's cynicism,
as
> if that quality had been hard earned and there was at least a possibility
> the lessons would need repeating. All that yammer about a code of honour
> too, a set of rules to make sense of the world and a man's place in it; if
> that isn't sentimental, I don't know what is.
>
> Tough guys are the most sentimental of characters.

I think that's what makes these guys interesting. IMO, if they were truly hard-boiled and there was no chance of any sentiment to seep through, there'd be no mystery, because we'd always know what was coming next. They'd be robots, which are not compelling because they're utterly predictable. .

I'm re-reading "The Long Goodbye" now and there's countless occasions when Marlow is offered money for his services and thus far has refused it every time. And this is the guy's business! Also, sharing a gimlet and a smoke with an absent Terry Lennox. If that isn't sentimental, I don't know what is. Even Marlowe admits it to himself then shrugs it off.

Brad