RARA-AVIS: Hemingway

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 12 Mar 2002

Mike wrote:
>and more directly in response to your post, there was and
>is a veil between you and the characters often. hemingway
>rarely states what a character is thinking. you have
>to pick up on the undercurrent to know what the heck is
>going on.

I agree with this, and I'm not necessarily saying it's bad; it works for me in "Hills" and in the "Short and Happy Life" story, it just doesn't work for me, personally, in a novel length. I tend to like the point of view character to be fairly open about his/her emotions - in the narration, not necessarily to other characters - but I know some people who see this as whining or navel gazing and hate it. Sometimes it really just comes down to taste. I think he's a good writer, just a good writer who doesn't interest me very much.

Carrie