Re: RARA-AVIS: used finds

From: ksm ( outpost@entirety.ca)
Date: 11 Mar 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: Forstater, Mathew < ForstaterM@umkc.edu> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 2:51 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: used finds

> A few good finds during a quick lunch stop at a local used book store.
>
> The Vengeance Man/Dan J. Marlowe ($1)
>
> Odds Against Tomorrow/William P. McGivern
>
> But Death Runs Faster/William P. McGivern
>
> and
>
> King Blood/Jim Thompson (had never heard of this! Intro by Ellroy, who
> calls it "its own one-book genre", "Shakespeare ravaged by airplane
> glue", "a flat-out stinkeroo", and "a bracing dip in the Big 'Noir'
> sewer.
> --

-nice finds! i've been having great book luck lately. the other weekend was the annual largest booksale in town, hosted for charity by the local paper. among dozens of finds of all kinds were a couple older pb ed. spillanes ("me, hood!" & "the big kill") and a w.r. burnett i'd never heard of: "romelle". on closer inspection i'm not so sure if this is really one of his more hb novels, but the cover (bantam 942, 1951) looks it anyway...another good find was "in the spring the war ended" by steven linakis (1965). i read this one right off for some reason and was surprised at how good it is. it's sort of a crime/war novel, an unflinching first person story of a deserter living off the black market, masquerading as various types of officers, pulling numerous scams, doing stockade time, etc at the tail end of wwII in europe (april-nov 1945). linakis' sense of atmosphere, pace, dialogue and subject matter all combined to give me the sense of a really good "lost"(?) hb novel. not an uplifting story, but a great read.

-kev smith