RARA-AVIS: Footnotes: Chandler's Chauffeur & hardboiled SF

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 11 Mar 2002

I've seen a specific letter from Chandler (to his English publisher) cited where he admitted having been asked, and not having known, who killed the chauffeur. The specific cite I have here is to a letter from March 1949, pages 155-56 of SELECTED LETTERS OF RAYMOND CHANDLER.

And naturally I can't remember the title and can't lay my hands on the anthology at the moment, but Philip Jose Farmer did a Hemingway parody that I've always loved. (Of course, I'm with Carrie on Hemingway; I can see his stylistic appeal, I guess, but he really doesn't make me feel anything about his characters.)

Victoria

Victoria Esposito-Shea Editor and Co-Founder HandHeldCrime and HandHeldCrime/Coffee Cup Press http://www.handheldcrime.com/