RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: poppa and pauline

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 11 Mar 2002

carrie said:
>Perhaps one could read the influence of Hemingway and Chandler
>as twin traditions - sometimes converging, sometimes opposed -
>behind the contemporary crime novel. Hammett's lack of senti-
>mentality (relative to Chandler) perhaps aligns him more closely
>with Hemingway?

i don't know about that. if we're separating the boys according to sentimentality, i'd put hemingway by himself in the sentimental chair and let chandler share the cold fish couch with hammett.

i didn't find a whole lot more sentiment in _the big sleep_ than i did in _the maltese falcon_ or _red harvest_. but look at _the sun also rises_. jake tries to hide his feelings but he's hurting bad over brett. and what about mike? his drunken scene involves his romantic feelings for brett. and look how purely mawkish robert cohn gets. more? how about frederick and catherine in _a farewell to arms_? how about robert jordan and his "rabbit" in
_for whom the bell tolls_?

off on a tangent:

in all of hemingway's works, he deals with one theme, and one theme only: the pursuit of heroism. and unlike his critics would lead you to believe, this is not the macho man stuff like you'll see in the _we were soldiers_ movie. hemingway's brand is the kinda heroism where you're just trying to pull together enough pieces of a scarred life to get by for another day. and he is very good at portraying this. a thousand different flavors. the cold anger of the woman in "hills like white elephants", the emotional displacement in "cat in the rain", the bitter nostalgia in "the snows of kilimanjaro", or the healing effect of nature for nick adams.

miker