RARA-AVIS: Short Stories & spoilers

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 11 Mar 2002

As I commented earlier this month, Flannery O'Connor is a wonderfully merciless writer and mentioned "A Good Man Is Hard To Find." My first experience with O'Connor was when a professor at the University of Georgia read the story aloud to our class about a month after she died. If students today are shocked at the story, imagine the impact in 1964.

I would also suggest that we adhere to the same "spoiler" rules for short stories that we observe for novels. There are those out there who have not read O'Connor's story and might do so after the recent praise here.

Richard Moore