Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dr. Smith

From: ansmith@netdoor.com
Date: 10 Mar 2002

> I discovered the great Andre Dubus,
> > who also could get gritty. Lehane, Bob Skinner, and several
others
> have
> > pointed to Dubus as an influence on their work.
> >
> Which books of his would you recommend?

Since I came to him late, I'll say the Selected Stories is a great place to start, and then his most recent collection, Dancing After Hours. Great Stuff in that one. And his essay last collection, which I quoted for the diss intro. Meditations from a Moveable Chair.

The story "Killings" (in the selected volume) inspired the film In the Bedroom.

Also, Xavier University Press just released a fantastic book full of tributes to Dubus from other writers.

All right, back to the topic now...

NS