Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dr. Smith

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 09 Mar 2002

Paul Miller:

> Well I'm feeling mightly lonely out here in seeing flaws in Pelecanos. I
> kinda feel like I stepped into the middle of a Pelecanos appreciation
> society meeting. I at least waited until he was off list before I
mentioned
> anything critical of his work.

Paul, If you check the archives you would find I critized Pelecanos' work often on this list, but it was mainly because he writes about things that he is very knowledgable and interested in like modern music or cars which I don't really care about. Even though a reference may be very obscure, he includes it to satisfy himself because he feels it will add something to the understanding of a character's personality. . Obviously, considering the books' endings plots are not his greatest strength, but I feel characters and setting are.

Its good for the list to have somrone criticize one of its favorites. After this furor dies down time try taking on Willeford. Mark