Re: RARA-AVIS: Shame the Devil

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 09 Mar 2002

> << It would be useful to put a critical eye even on some list sacred cows
> sometimes. >>
>
> Hey Paul, read him or don't. We all have our preferences, but my
> admiration of GP and my love of his work has nothing to do with "sacred
cow"
> worship.

I think, Paul, that I wouldn't have answered the criticisms had you said "I don't like this." But your thoughts touched on specific areas of his writing, and I'm not sure how we could come to such different conclusions. For example, I'll admit that Fitzgerald can write well, and he probably deserves his status, but, *man*, I hate GATSBY. Never liked his other stuff, either, and I can nitpick it to death, but I'd be outgunned by the swarms who think he's a god.

So it wasn't the personal dislike, but rather the idea that he *objectively* isn't that good. I can't agree with that.

NS