Re: RARA-AVIS: Shame the Devil

From: Paul Miller ( phm@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: 08 Mar 2002

a n Smith wrote: As for your complaints about the details of the pizza joint heist--huh? I don't make the same connections you did here. A good criminal would care less about procedure because he's robbing a restaurant instead of a bank? These days?...........................................

My point was that a job that nets you a few hundred or maybe one or two thousand like at a pizza joint wouldn't be a job you could afford a drop car and then two more. Someone mentioned the gambling money angle and that would make sense of it.

Cardboard? Boring? But you think the Faulkner book is exciting and inspired and not bogged down? Having read a lot of both, I just shake my head.........................................................

Yes I have read alot of Faulkner myself and just part of one Pelecanos so maybe I will try another one of his books as has been suggested. I do find Faulkner's writing in Sanctuary superior to Pelecanos. It's not really fair to compare the two however so I probably shouldn't have. These days I find that I find myself laying down quite a few books and just shaking my head so it might be I'm just jaded or maybe there is just alot of crap being published today. I don't like Leonard's books either, although Killshot wasn't bad, so that will make me some friends here. : )
 I do like Thompson, Goodis, Woolrich, Cain, Highsmith, McCoy, Raymond, and Mosley among others.

Paul Miller