RARA-AVIS: RE: Pelecanos, Hell to Pay

From: Tricia Allen ( TAllen99@prodigy.net)
Date: 06 Mar 2002

I read Hell to Pay and thought it was great. I saw it in a Barnes and Noble while I was doing a signing and read a random page in the middle, with a vague promise to myself that I would get the book if I liked the page I read. Well, I did and I did. I rarely buy hardbacks anymore -- I either wait for the paperback or get the book from the library--but it was a Saturday evening and the libraries were already closed and I kept thinking about that book.

I haven't run across such detailed characterization in a while. The story built slowly, but the characterization carried it. Now I am reading Right as Rain and will try other Pelecanos books.

Also, all of the pages were as good as that random one I read.

Tricia Allen