Re: RARA-AVIS: E.R. Johnson & Joe Don Baker

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 04 Mar 2002

> --- Buzz < BuzzMeeks@attbi.com> wrote:
>
> > Rene, I've read a few E. Richard Johnsons and think
> > "Mongo's Back in Town"
> > is his best. Tough and very entertaining. Worth
> > checking out.
> > Brad
>
> I agree totally with this choice.
>
> Amongst the other novels by E.R. Johnson, there is one
> I liked a lot:
> CAGE 5 IS GOING TO BREAK (1970)
> Tough cynical characters and a fast story taking place
> in a penitentiary.
>
> E.Borgers

I thought "Mongo" might be the one to read. I understand "Mongo" was made into a film with Joe Don Baker - is this a good flick? Thinking of Baker, has anyone seen "Edge of Darkness", a British mini-series from the 1980's, IIRC. Very noirish tale involving espionage, nuclear reactors & an apocalyptic story line, IIRC again. Baker played a rogue CIA guy (what other kind is there, in noir anyhow?) with a serious Willie Nelson worship thing going on, with Nelson's song "Time of the Preacher" featuring heavily on the soundtrack & with Joe Don doing his own (drunken) rendition/s, again IIRC. I haven't seen it for many years - I'd be curious to see how it holds up now.

Rene