RARA-AVIS: JDM & business

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 04 Mar 2002

The two John D. MacDonald novels (A MAN OF AFFAIRS and THE EMPTY TRAP) Bill Denton reported on are two I have fond memories of reading years ago. I would put TRAP on my short list of JDM's that deserve a reread and soon. There is always something exhilarating to me about a plot where a character is thought dead and can thus move behind the scenes towards justice, revenge of whatever.

A MAN OF AFFAIRS I recall as a novel remarkably ahead of its time. If I am remembering the right one, MacDonald puts forth a situation in this 1957 novel that became common 15-20 years later. The story here is of a corporate raider. MacDonald did have an MBA degree from Harvard and he often put that knowledge and training to good use.

Richard