RARA-AVIS: Dopplegangers...

From: Doug Hoffman, MD ( hoffmand@cc.northcoast.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2002

My favorite example of the doppleganger theme is the movie, ANGELHEART, which was based on William Hjortsberg's book, FALLING ANGEL. I'm new to the list, so I don't know if this film (or book) has been discussed.

I suspect the basic idea (detective hired to find someone, who turns out to be the detective--an earlier self that he has forgotten, due to trauma) is not new. Any other examples? One of the cool things about the movie is the skilful way sympathy is developed for the protagonist, Harold Angel. This is one nice guy (played by Mickey Rourke, in counterpoint to DeNiro's Louis Cyphre), and you hate to see him fall.

My wife read the book, and found it very disappointing. One of those unusual examples of the movie surpassing the book, in her opinion. (She and I feel the same way about _The Godfather_, but I suspect we might get an argument from some people on that one!)

Doug Hoffman