Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir tragedy

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 26 Feb 2002

Doug

I have to agree with you that The Long Good-Bye is a tragedy. When Lennox/Maioranos disappears down that corridor "first [his footsteps] grew faint, then they got silent" Marlow is saying goodbye not only to his friend but to a whole moral code, an heroic model, and a whole era in American history. In my opinion this novel is Chandler's lament at the arrival of the new postmodern world that he, and Marlowe, will never fit into. If it's not tragic, what is it?

Chris