Re: RARA-AVIS: Jack Henry Abbott dies

From: David Roye ( broye@us.ibm.com)
Date: 25 Feb 2002

The case of Jack Abbott interested me a great deal when it happened and incited me to read his book, And I was truly frightened. It was abundantly clear to me form those essays how Abbott was going to behave once he got out. The late Jerzy Kosinsky was only Literati who stated publicly at the time that Abbott was not a man who should not allowed to live in society of free men and women. He got quite a bit of flak from his peers and Abbott himself wrote a series of vitriolic letter to Kosinsky. It speaks volumes that we remember Abbott but we ( at least I) can remember the man he killed. He worked as waiter and was an actor/playwright; he left behind a wife who was devastated by Abbott barbarity.