Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy (was: BECAUSE THE NIGHT)

From: John A. Armstrong ( johnnyyen@shaw.ca)
Date: 23 Feb 2002

Speaking of Ellroy's style, did anyone else have a hard time with the Winchell/telegraph style of the The Cold Six Thousand? I gave up after about 20 pages, it annoyed me so much.

JAA

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact than a drunken man is happier than a sober one ." GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan McPeek" < jordan_mcpeek@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 3:56 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: BECAUSE THE NIGHT

> My son was born just over a year ago, Feb. 15/01. I just caught up on my
> Rara-Avis this morning. I cut off my other lists and haven't kept up with
some
> favourite magazines and websites, but, dammit, I've read all my Rara-Avis
for
> the past three or four years. I figured I'd join the hordes of lurkers
jumping
> on to the list lately and contribute a few thoughts.
>
> Recent reads
>
> BECAUSE THE NIGHT by James ELLROY - My, what big words you have, Grandpa
> Ellroy! The vocabulary, the complex sentences were impressive, but a
little
> distracting at times, taking me out of the story. Does Ellroy stand alone
with
> this kind of wordplay overkill? I can't think of anyone who does it quite
> this degree.
> Another minor annoyance: I found the switching POV between the cop and
his
> quarry jarring. Everytime it switched, I'd be annoyed for the first few
> paragraphs cause I wanted to keep going with the previous character. But
then
> I'd get absorbed in the new POV, and carry on until the next switch.
Minor
> annoyance #3: I knew what the bad guy was up to because of the POV
switch, but
> had to rehash it all as the cop figured it out. I suppose this is the
intended
> fun part of a POV switch, but it was just redundant. Overall, I liked the
> book. At first I figured the bad guy was another super psycho baddie who
was
> just evil through and through and always was and will be, but I should've
known
> better (this was my 6th or 7th Ellroy, although 1st one in a couple
years); the
> baddie's background is explored later in the book, and all the characters
are
> shown to be severely flawed. All grey; no black and white. That's what I
> like. I think this really stood out for me because I went from Robert
Crais'