Re: RARA-AVIS: Cockfighter - No Show

From: ksm ( outpost@entirety.ca)
Date: 23 Feb 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: Rene Ribic < rribic@optusnet.com.au> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 9:42 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Cockfighter - No Show

...but as I had decided to break my
> budget by getting a new AFI membership only because of "Cockfighter" &
> the fact that I had watched "The Killing" on video for about the 6th
> time only a few weeks ago I decided to save my money. >
> Rene

well, i've only seen it about 3 times but i'd stick around to watch a new 35 mm print of "the killing", a really great film (final scene: "johnny, you've got to run!" - "ah, what's the use.") but then i last saw it on video at least 6 years ago. that film may be the ultimate example (in my experience) of the "perfect crime except for one weak link, whereupon everything unravels" theme (similar to "asphalt jungle" in that sense - in that case i liked the book better than the film, it seemed to have more atmosphere). anyone know of a book version of this film - script by lionel white, dialogue by jim thompson IIRC?

-ksm