Re: RARA-AVIS: T.Jefferson Parker, SILENT JOE, and the Edgars

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Feb 2002

--- Incident57th@aol.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:04:43 -0800 (PST)
> From: JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Funny you should bring [T.Jefferson Parker] up. I
> just finished WHERE
> SERPENTS LIE last week. Thought it was a corker!
> Parker's been nominated twice for the Edgar
> (including
> this year for SILENT JOE). I'm looking forward to
> reading the rest of his books.

The couple TJ Parkers I've read have not impressed at all. LAGUNA HEAT struck me as a Ross Macdonald pastiche, pure and simple, and THE BLUE HOUR had a couple of interesting characters lost in an overlong, tedious plot. (Another example of a book that could have been profitably cut by a hundred or so pages.)

I *want* to like Parker -- the plot of THE TRIGGERMAN'S DANCE, for instance, sounds intriguing.
(Great title, too.) I'll try to pick that one up used and see if it's any better.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com