RARA-AVIS: T.Jefferson Parker, SILENT JOE, and the Edgars

From: Incident57th@aol.com
Date: 20 Feb 2002

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:04:43 -0800 (PST) From: JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

Funny you should bring [T.Jefferson Parker] up. I just finished WHERE SERPENTS LIE last week. Thought it was a corker! Parker's been nominated twice for the Edgar (including this year for SILENT JOE). I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his books.

************************** SILENT JOE's a pretty good read. Tightly plotted and keeps your interest throughout.

As much as I enjoyed it, however, and without taking anything away from the nomination, I'm hard-pressed to see how it, or Coben's book, for that matter, was more worthy of acknowledgment than, say, Pelecanos's RIGHT AS RAIN, or Lehane's MYSTIC RIVER, or Daniel Woodrell's THE DEATH OF SWEET MISTER.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's all subjective at some level (and I realize those 3 are more crime than straight ahead "mystery"), and you can't nominate all of the great ones, but damn, man, those three are downright incredible books. IMO, the Edgars missed the boat.

At least the Hammetts did the right thing and gave nods to Pelecanos and Lehane.

Tom Bernardo