Re: RARA-AVIS: laguna heat

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 20 Feb 2002

In a message dated 2/20/02 2:08:33 AM, rribic@optusnet.com.au writes:

<< So, would the earlier books be worth reading? I read "Summer of Fear"

(talk about generic titles) & wasn't very impressed, either. >>

Jeff Parker's LITTLE SAIGON and the extremely generically titled PACIFIC BEAT are just as powerful as LAGUNA HEAT. After reading those three, SUMMER OF FEAR is that much more of a disappointment. In my view however, Parker redeems himself in his subsequent work. While not on a par with his first three, his next four books are all quite good. I especially enjoyed THE BLUE HOUR, although the coda is a bit wonky. His protagonist Merci Rayborn, who also appears in RED LIGHT, is similar to Robert Crais' Carol Starkey in DEMOLITION ANGEL. While there are other very good writers working the territory, some of whom are Avians, in my opinion, Crais, Connelly and Parker, all in their 40s and at the top of their games, currently own the L.A. crime landscape. I haven't read Parker's latest, SILENT JOE yet.

Laguna Heat was made into one of HBO's first original movies back in the late 80's with a pre-L.A. Law Harry Hamlin, Catherine Hicks and Jason Robards. While true to the original source material, the film treatment to my recollection was rather tepid.

John Lau